The Free Christian Supporting Group “Groupe Chrétien de Soutien Libre” (GCSL)
GCSL is a socio-humanitarian and non-political voluntary organisation for development. The organisation includes about thirty christian women and men in CEC (Chrétien Evangélique de Congo). Most of them are from Matadi.
The idea to form the group came from the committee for supporting the Women´s choir at the Kiam Church of CEC Matadi. It was founded in January 20, 2001 and is meant to fulfill the layman´s call to serve the Lord.
Mission and purpose
The main mission for GCSL is to support through many different acts in order to evangelize all of the individual person.
To be able to realize this aim there are fixed purposes such as:
- promoting the Christrian Gospel both from a material and financial point of view.
- relieving the spiritual, moral and intellectual development of the members.
- making the members aware of global problems and making them feel responsibility towards mankind.
- deepening guidance of the young growing up in a modern society and infrastructure.
- maintaining relations to other organizations with the same purposes.
- create and further activities that generate income for financial support and development.
- etc, etc.
By keeping these aims GCSL makes up a program each year with activities based on:
- visits to and help to sick persons at hospitals, to prisoners, to old people and to those in particular need.
- taking part in the building of churches e.g. Mukimbungu and at Nzadi in Matadi.
- supporting those who plan to be ministers (preparing for clergy).
- deepening of the care of young people in a future Socio-cultural meetingplace, that is today´s House of Youth which is under construction.
- productive actiovities and self-support
- mutual support.
- church activities
The structure of GCSL
GCSL consists as we said of about thirty women and men whose age is between 40 and 74. Most of the members are also members in Evangélique du Congo (CEC) – our sister-church (my comment!) and come from different parishes in Matadi. Since many members are not young anymore, it is understandable that many have difficulties to fulfill the demands that the group may wish to see performed, retired or without work as they might be They need much support and many sacrifices to survive and be of help.